Andrew R. Jones Ph.D.|
* Product and Systems Designer, ETA Engineering, Tempe, AZ
* Senior Research Scientist, Space Science Center, University of
American Astronomical Society (AAS) - Solar Physics Division of AAS
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
American Solar Energy Society
Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
Aerospace & Electronic Systems; Education; Medicine & Biology;
Instrumentation & Measurement; Oceanic Engineering;
Systems man cybernetics societies of IEEE
American Physical Society (APS)
Astrophysics ; Biological Physics Divisions of APS
American Institute of Physics (AIP)
American Gephysical Union (AGU)
American Hydrogen Association
International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE)
International Solar Cycle Study Scientific Committee on
Solar-Terrestrial Physics (ISCS)
Human Powered Vehicle Association
Extensive experience in design and development of very high
reliability instrumentation for space and ground-based scientific
measurements, including electronic, mechanical and optical
specifications. Development of data reduction techniques, image
processing and display algorithms. Scientific expert to European
Space Agency for asteroseismology and high precision photometry,
and member of NASA peer review system for UV proposals.
B.Sc BioPhysics, University of York: (1981-1983)
* Including medical physics and imaging, electron microscopy, ultra
high resolution spectroscopy.
Ph.D. Experimental Physics, Birmingham: (1983-1986)
* Developed very high resolution spectrometers for detecting solar/
stellar oscillations, and extra solar planets.
* Development of a tunable laser heterodyne spectrometer for basic
atomic physics measurements.
PROFESSIONAL, RESEARCH AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
ETA Engineering: Systems and Product developer (2000-present)
* Develop systems design for Solar-Electric installations for residential
and commercial customers.
* Design and develop high reliability high power charge controllers
for solar-electric, and other commercial applications.
* Provide warranty and non-warranty repair for Trace Engineering inverters
University of Southern California: Senior Research Scientist (1996-present)
* Develop instrumentation and analyze solar UV/EUV data.
* Develop instrumentation to precisely measure the shape
of the Sun and its long term changes.
* Providing ground Support for Sounding Rocket and Space Shuttle
Missions (NASA Appreciation award for STS-95 mission).
* Develop new techniques to study subsurface solar dynamics.
* Debug high-speed CCD cameras.
* Advise graduate student (C-H. Lin)
Amundsen-Scott South Pole station: Research Scientist (1994-1996)
* Served as 'winter-over' scientist with responsibility for four high
energy astrophysics experiments.
* Received fire fighting and extreme environment medicine training.
Bartol Research Institute: Research Scientist (1994)
* Designed and constructed a multi-color solar imaging photometer for
deployment at the geographic South pole. It proved one of the most
reliable experiments at the South Pole, working continuously, fully
exposed to the environment for the entire 3 month Summer season.
* Developed image restoration and multidimensional data fitting
Universities of Aarhus (DK) and Groningen(NL): Research Scientist (1991-1993)
* Developed optical analysis software to model complex
* Designed a very small high-resolution holographic heterodyne
* Lead observation campaign of delta-Scuti stars.
* Advised graduate students (H. Kjeldsen, M. Sodemaan, M. Viscum,
Institute D'Astrophysique Spatiale (France): Research Scientist (1991)
* Calibrated and developed the GOLF experiment for ESA/NASA SoHO
* Trained IAS staff in the alignment and use of Ar Ion and dye laser
* Advised graduate students (P. Boumier, C. Gravel).
Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias (Spain): Research Scientist (1989-1990)
* Developed of a very high precision multi-star, multi-color
* Worked on Commissioning of the 4.2m Isaac Newton Telescope on
* Worked on Transputer based data acquisition and analysis systems.
* Advised graduate students (A. Jimenez, J .A. Belmonte).
European Space Agency - ESTEC (Netherlands): Research Scientist
* Designed and developed the LOI now flying on NASA-ESA's SoHO
* Specified and designed radiation-hard ASIC. The ASIC was used to
space-qualify the ABB-HAFO production facility. The ASIC is now
commercially available, and is flying on SoHO, WIND satellites and
was used on Cluster spacecraft. (ESA outstanding achievement award
given for development)
* Developed Chip-and-Wire analogue hybrid circuits for spacecraft
Dr. Andrew R. Jones
ETA Engineering Inc.
2010 E. University Dr. #20
Tempe, AZ 85281
Space Science Center
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA 90089
Update: June 2012