Department of Energy Argonne National Laboratory Office of Science NEWTON's Homepage NEWTON's Homepage
NEWTON, Ask A Scientist!
NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Group theory in geometry
Name: jan
Status: N/A
Age: N/A
Location: N/A
Country: N/A
Date: Around 1995

I need to know something about group theory in relation to geometry, such as: if the symmetry of an object can be described by a group G, what does subgroup H in G mean in relation to the object? The center? Centralizer? A normal subgroup? etc. Maybe you could give me a reference to a book about this - level about post graduate.

Well, a reference chemists have used on this subject for many years is Cotton's "Chemical Applications of Group Theory."

In the context of identifying the point group of an object, the elements of the group correspond to rotations, reflections, inversions, etc. of the object that leave the object's shape invariant. At least, this is what it boils down to for molecules. I have probably skipped over 1000's of mathematical subtleties which a real mathematician will hopefully fill in hereafter . . . (?) But I think you will find Cotton's book of interest. You can also see the relevant chapter in any general physical chemistry text (example: Atkins' "Physical Chemistry").


Click here to return to the Mathematics Archives

NEWTON is an electronic community for Science, Math, and Computer Science K-12 Educators, sponsored and operated by Argonne National Laboratory's Educational Programs, Andrew Skipor, Ph.D., Head of Educational Programs.

For assistance with NEWTON contact a System Operator (, or at Argonne's Educational Programs

Educational Programs
Building 360
9700 S. Cass Ave.
Argonne, Illinois
60439-4845, USA
Update: June 2012
Weclome To Newton

Argonne National Laboratory