NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Owl Behavior in December

Name: Sarah
Country: Germany

Question:
I just wanted to share my exact same story about being attacked by an owl in Vancouver, British Columbia, last week. It was early December and had just turned dark when an owl tried to land on my head twice, also within 30 seconds. I chased it away as soon as I felt something on my head which was just an instant reaction, not knowing what it was and where it was coming from. After I had chased it away, it tried to land on me again. We have seen the owl in our neighbourhood before and so it really seems like it was just trying to protect its territory. Is this a common behavior?

Owls are extremely shy, so this behavior is odd. The only owls I have ever heard of doing this are those that have been habituated to humans. This normally only occurs in a captive or rehab setting. My only theory is that this owl was injured in the wild, spent time at a wildlife rehab center or home, and was released. That would take away it's fear of humans, so it might have actually been trying to get food from you.

Grace Fields