NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Scale Types

Name: Zhev
Grade: 12+
Country: Israel

Question:
Of the ("true") fish with clenoid and cycloid scales; is there some sub class or order or family (families) that identifies them as opposed to fish with other forms of scales?

Hi Zhev,

Thanks for the question. I am not sure of the answer, but I would recommend searching in an evolutionary biology textbook, or perhaps a scientific journal. You may want to search the (free) PubMed database or Library of Congress catalog. You will need some patience to do the research necessary to answer your question.

I hope this provides some help. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff