NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Fetus Feedback to Mother

Name: Niamh
Grade: n/a
Country: United Kingdom

Question:
What does the fetus give to the mother through blood?

Hi Niamh,

Thanks for the question. The fetus contains half of the genes of the father. Thus, the fetus may transmit antigens to the mother and perhaps other small molecules such as hormones. The transmission of antigens from the fetus to the mother may result in sensitization of the mother. This process may occur in erythroblastosis featalis.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff