NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Squirrels and Blackbirds at Feeders
Name: Carolyn

Question:
I like to watch the birds, but I am having a problem with squirrels and blackbirds in the feeders. They chase away all the song birds. Is there any way to keep them out of the feeders?

The best bet for squirrels is to have a squirrel proof bird feeder. Some feeders come with a tipping top so the squirrel cannot reach the food. Blackbirds are a bit harder. Make sure your bird feeder has feeding perches that are big enough for a song bird to stand on but too small for a black bird. They will still frequent under the feeder, but this might give the song birds a chance to be at the feeder undisturbed.

Grace Fields