NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Spider Web Recycling
Name: Julie

Question:
my sister lives in Illinois. while visiting there she was telling me about 2 spiders that come out at night under the eves of her porch, the each weave a web to catch prey, but in the morning there is never a sign of the web, what happens to the web? I looked at different spiders and it might be an orb weaving spider.

Some species of spider will catch their food in the evening, then roll their food up in their web and carry it away. If they do not catch anything, they will roll up their web and carry it away to use the next night!

Grace Fields