NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Caring for Wild Birds
Name: Christopher

Question:
My Dad and I found a baby Killdeer in our driveway all alone near sundown with no Mom Killdeer in sight, we left him out over night and this morning he was still there and are not sure what to feed him

If you touched the bird, you probably have given it a death sentence. If you left it alone, it probably will be fine. The parents will reject it in many cases if humans have interfered. Never interfere with ground dwelling birds, or any wild bird for that matter, for most species are protected by state and federal laws.

If all fails, contact your local wildlife rescue group or local veterinarian.

The Secretary of the Interior reported a few months ago that all bird populations are on a decline in numbers. We all have to work to reverse this trend.

S. Sample