NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Snapping Turtle Hatching
Name: Kaden

Question:
My name is Kaden, my dad and I saw a snapping turtle laying eggs and we wanted to know how long it takes for the eggs to hatch?

Hatching of turtle and most other reptile eggs is very dependent on temperature. Snapping turtle eggs usually hatch in from two to four months. An interesting fact is that whether the young are male or female depends on the temperature in the nest at critical times during development.