NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bats in the Bedroom
Name: Kathy

Question:
Tonite i found a baby bat on a rug in my bedroom. i thought it was a leaf until it moved.Last night i heard noises on the screen, we thought it was the storm. Tonight we went to bed and heard noises again..i was scared so my husband checked he found another bat on the curtain..then another on the screen and window. We don't know how they got in.i don't know what to do any suggestions please.

It would be very helpful to know where this is happening, since there are many species of bats with different habits, in different parts of the U.S. and the world. If these are really young bats you may have had a nursery somewhere in your house, an attic or chimney are possible, from which they found some way into your bedroom. I take it they were quite small since you describe them as babies. A small bat can get through a very small crack. If they are adults they are also finding some way into the house, again through an crack in an attic or a chimney are the most likely, or there may be a small opening in a screen, but bats generally do not try to go through windows since most roost in dark places. To prevent more bats getting in a thorough search for small openings will be needed.

Take them outside and let them go. Or, open a window and scare them outside. Or, trap them in a cup or a jar, take them outside and let them go.

Have your house inspected by a pest control organization to see if you have any more. They can also probably tell you how they got in.

Sincere regards,

Mike Stewart