NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Feeding Wild Ducks
Name: Natalie

Question:
We have a pair of mallard ducks who have adopted our pool and yard. They are here to nest. The female never leaves the yard and she is hungry. There is no natural food for her here. This morning I finally took a piece of bread to her to see if she would eat. She met me on the patio, almost taking the bread from my hand. Should I continue to feed her? The male let her have the food but he occasionally leaves and I'm sure he is feeding elsewhere. My question is - should I continue to feed her and, if so, what is the best food for her?

This is normal nesting behavior for mallards. You really don't need to feed the female, even though she will get hungry that's the way mallards have adapted and are obviously successful. If you do feed give her cracked corn or bird seed, not bread. Bread is not good for birds.