NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Wild Bird Feeding Behavior
Name: Veronica

Question:
Is it possible to overfeed wild birds? I have a group of tree sparrows that feed at my feeder everyday. There is one sparrow that will come in the early morning eat slowly, but continously (seed and suet)all day. The bird will also fluff-up and nap in a corner of my patio. It is fat, is slow, doesn't like to fly, and leaves at night. Or is this bird just plain ole old?

I don't know that a bird will overeat to the point of harming itself. I don't think it would be appropriate to guess about this bird's behavior since many factors could be influencing it.