NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Gull Behavior
Name: Chris

Question:
Why one find Gulls of their own sort apart from other Gull sorts and not mixed up with different Gull sorts in one group?

I don't know if gull behavior in Europe is different than here in the Great Lakes region of North America. Here, we find mostly large flocks of ring-billed gulls, since that is the species that is most adapted to the habitat. Other species may be mixed in with ring-bills, especially out of the breeding season. Along sea coasts, and this is true in the one area of coastal Ireland I have visited, the Cliffs of Moher, there may be several species of gulls nesting in close proximity.

The short answer is that gulls and other birds are found in suitable habitat, where there food is available, and in season, and may or may not be in groups of more than one species.