NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Wren Nesting
Name: Bob

Question:
Will house wrens 's use the same nest , or do you have to clean out the old nest?

Old nest boxes should be cleaned at the end of each season. Wrens will return to the same boxes but they accumulate debris and parasites, etc. so cleaning is very important.

This is interesting for I have a house wren nest as well. Yes, it is a good idea to clean it out yearly. Yes, either the original adults or offspring or whatever tend to reuse nests

year to year. Some research has indicated that males habitually offer females a number of nest sites for her to choose as a active nest. I observed this year that the pair actually frequented two nest sites, using one for the nest and the other was frequently visited for reasons that only the wrens could tell.