NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Chipmunks as Pets
Name: Dave

Question:
Since chipmunks seem to be so brave around people do they make good pets. I have heard several stories about pet squirrels, so it made me curious.

Chipmunks do not make good pets for a few reasons. For one, they are fairly hard to tame and remain nippy. Another reason is that they are very fast! They also dig holes and massive underground tunnels. This is a natural behavior we would not be able to provide for them as pets.

Grace Fields

NO!! Chipmunks are very nervous and excitable and almost impossible to keep alive in captivity. Please do not try to capture and keep one. Also, while squirrels can be kept alive, it is illegal in Illinois and I believe most states to keep any wild mammal as a pet without a permit that shows it was not taken from the wild.