NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Frog Skin
Name: max

Question:
I am reaserching the local secies of frogs in Maumee, Ohio. I've heard that frogs have antibiotics in their skin. What advantage would this serve if this is true?

There is a peptide body in the skin of frogs and other amphibians. This peptide fights infection if the animal is injured. It works differently than antibiotics like penicillin does. Antibiotics we take find the bacteria and shut it down, kind of like turning off a system on a computer. The computer can find a way to turn it back on. The peptide body finds the bacteria and punches a hole in it. This would be like taking a hammer to the computer! This means that the bacteria cannot grow a resistance to the peptide body, so the bacteria would not become immune to it, letting this new peptide body antibiotic work forever! If it can be harnessed and used correctly, it would offer people a much better alternative to the antibiotics we have now.

Grace Fields