NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Robin Migration
Name: David

Question:
I have historically had a keen eye for spotting the presence of Robins in early Spring. I haven't documented the dates but have taken pride in noticing the first day of observing my first Robin and it has seemed that they are returning earlier in Februrary. This early winter Dec 06, I noticed that the robins seemed to stay rather than migrate. Throughout January I would notice not just one or two but packs of 6-7 Robins in one place. I also noticed that these Robins have been rather fat; some appearing possibly pregnant. I have had bird feed out in the past but have only shelled sunflower seed out at this time. The past two weeks have been the coldest in Southwest Ohio this winter and the past two days, I have found three dead Robins (two on my front porch and one against the house in my back yard. Do you know what is going on?

Some facts for addressing your request:

Birds do not get pregnant! They lay eggs. No, females do not produce eggs until ready to lay them. They fluff thier feathers for warmth and are well fed prior to migration.

Winter takes the most birds due to the weather related and travel stress so older birds or unhealthy birds normally parish.

Many robins do not migrate and are around your area year around.

There are typically three migrations of robins. February is the first group which often appear more orange in color. These nest more northerly.

Robins in migration will eat seeds of many types.

ssample

Robins have a great sense of hearing. They use this to help them find food. They also have decent vision. Combine these with the ability to fly and it helps keep them safe from predators.

Grace Fields