NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Symmetrical Butterfly Wings
Name: Lewis

Question:
Why are butterflies wings symmetrical?

Lewis,

My question to you is what kind of symmetry are you referring to? If I understand your question correctly, are you referring to the left wing being a mirror image of the right? If that is your question, then the answer is that if the wings were not symmetrical, the butterfly would have a difficult time flying, since the wing on one side would have different lift and drag characteristics than the wing on the other side. Hopefully I have not missed your point!

Bob Wilson.