NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Saving Young Birds
Name: Nory

Question:
I am so glad I found this website. I am a teacher and at the school where I work there are alot of Hoise Sparrow nests. I found a baby about 3 weeks ago. I thought it was going to die and since I work in the 5th grade wing I didn't want the students torturing the animal. I picked it up and kept it, to my surprise it opened its beak and aloud me to feed it. She is now at home in a cage and very spoiled, I let her out and she flies around the house. She eats some seeds I bought for her and still calls me to feed her. My question is have I reached the point of no return in the sense that I cannot reintroduce her to her habitat? I tried releasing her in my back yard and she didn't take to it to well, she came back down to me. I do not want her to be unhappy. What should I do?

I hope this reply is in time to help. The sparrow, like all young songbirds, would be fed by its parents for a few days after it left its nest, so it is still dependent on you for food. Put a little food out for it and leave it alone, and it will fare as well as any other fledgling bird. You should know that taking in native wild birds, even for the most sincere reasons, is illegal, and if necessary they should be taken to licensed rehabilatators. House sparrows, though, are not native to the U.S. and along with starlings and pigeons, are not covered by the US Migratory Bird Act, and there is no law against taking them in.