NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Spider Fix Action Behavior
Name: Turkan

Question:
I read about the Wheel web. They say that the first thread is blown away with the wind and sticks to a spot, creating a bridge which will carry the rest of the web. But what if the wind did not carry the first thread to a proper spot? Does the spider try again , does he spin another thread and does he wait for the wind ? If so ,what does he do with the first bridge which was not a proper one? I read that for recycling,the spiders eat their webs ,except the first thread( the one which the wind blew). Why doesn't the spider eat this first thread?

I am very interested in spider webs.I think they are amazing and would like to learn more. I would be grateful if you can give me some links telling more about the webs.

See the Golden Guide to Spiders for a very clear explanation of how spiders go about constructing their webs. Another possibly useful reference: Hillyard, Paul. The Book of the Spider. Random House A google search for "spider web construction" results in many web sites.