NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cocoon and Metamorphosis
Name: Alexa

Question:
I found a cocoon on a bush with hardly any leaves. The cocoon was light tan in color. I put it in my bug case and brought it inside to watch. The next morning it began moving and soon I could see what was inside. It came out of half the cocoon and stopped. A couple of days later it came out the rest of the way. Now it is a dark reddish brown color, but it still appears to be a cocoon - is this possible?

Once the butterfly or moth comes out of the cocoon, It will sit there for a bit to dry it's wings before it tries to fly. The cocoon will still be left there and will eventually dry and darken!

Grace Fields