NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Wintering Insects
Name: Shane

Question:
I live in Canada. today Jan. 11 2006 I was walking my dog in Barrie Ontario, in a wooded lot behind our house. We had found a bunch on pine cone droppings from some animals, I had noticed that my boot laces had come undone when i bent down to retie them I caught something out of the corner of my eye it was a spider. it was about a quarter of an inch long with maybe about 3/8" from tip of leg to tip of leg. it was a translucent beige color. I thought that spiders donot survive winter outside. can you shed some light?

Some species of spiders only live for a year and die off in winter, however, there are other species who somewhat hybernate though the winter under bark, leaf litter, or rocks. If the weather warms up a bit these spiders will come out and hunt for some food, then return when it gets cooler. Your spider was probably keeping warm for the winter in the pine cone droppings!

Grace Fields