NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Caterpillar Glue
Name: julie
Age: K-3
Location: NC

Question:
My class is doing a unit on butterflies. Right now we have three caterpillars that have hatched from eggs. One has made a chrysillus. The other two are still eating. My class wanted to know what made the caterpillar eggs stick to the leafs? Why do they not fall off when it is windy or stormy?

"The pupae of most butterflies are attached to the substrate by the "cremaster," a few hooks at the end of the abdomen that are caught in a small pad of silk that the larva spun just before transforming. In addition the pupae of many butterflies have a "girdle" or stout strand of silk looped over the back and attached to the surface beneath, like a window washer's belt."

William H. Howe, The Butterflies of North America.