NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Digestive System Differences
Name: Unknown

Question:
I need to find out what the diffrence is between a herbivor and a carnivors digestive system is?

Hello! There are lots of differences between carnivor and herbivor digestive systems, so much so I can't even begin to tell you in a single e- mail!! The best way to go about finding out the differences is searching the web. I would look at a dog's digestive system (or a cats), a horse digestive system and a cow's digestive system. Those three will give you a really good feeling as to the differences!! Make sure you look at not just the stomach, but the entire intestinal system as well. Also take note that these animals basically have the same parts, but they are different sizes, shapes and perform different tasks depending upon the animal and what they eat. Good luck!! Susannah Sample University of Wisconsin Vet. Med.

One main difference between the digestive systems of herbivores and carnivores is that carnivores have one stomache, where as many herbivores like sheep, goats and cows have 3 or 4 stomaches where the food has to be regurgitated and chewed again, then reswallowed where it enters into another stomache to be digested.

Grace Field