NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Robin Young Secretions
Name: Kay
Age: other
Location: OH

Question:
A pair of robins built a nest in front of our window so we had a "bird's eye" view of the nesting, hatching and rearing of their chicks. I will swear that I saw the parents put in their beaks secretions that came from the posteriors of the chicks each time they came by to feed them. Is this nature's way of keeping the nest tidy?

Good observations! yes, the young secrete their waste products in packets and the adults remove them and fly them to another location. The reason for this seems to follow the idea that by preventing the excretions from falling below the nest, the less likely predators will be able to find the nest.