NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Molting of Ducks
Name: Irving
Age: other
Location: FL

Question:
For the past 6 years I have lived on a lake in Jacksonville, Fl., where I've been feeding a number of wild Mallard ducks. I raised one female from day of hatching and have interacted with her and her siblings for the past 3 years. This past year, (2004-05), I have witnessed many of the males, (drakes), visually changing into females. What is happening?

Mallard drakes and some other species molt to a drab "eclipse" plumage in the summer, then molt back again to breeding plumage in fall. During molt they may be unable to fly for a few weeks and stay mostly out of sight.

Mallard drakes assume the camouflage plumage that is common found with the females during the time they are unable to fly for protective reasons. Predators would be able to find them easily at the time they are most vunerable.