NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Blue jay Beaks
Name: deleon
Age: K-3
Location: TX

Question:
How long is a blue jays beak,and the color of it,and if its possible can you tell me why the beak is that color.

The blue jay is around 11 inches long. It's beak is black and around 3 inches long ( that would be my best guess without actually measuring). It's black beak matches part of it's face. This could help make it's beak less noticable when it is hunting insects.

Grace Field