NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Preserving Snake Skins
Name: Chad
Age: other
Location: WI

Question:
I have a corn snake and it just shed for the first time and i wanted to know how to perserve its shed?

A shed snake skin does not require any sort of chemical preservation; it is, however, fragile. I have seen many a collection of skins kept in an large open jar. Also sealing in a "baggie" might help avoid tearing.

M. Loop

We have saved shed skins at our nature centers simply by keeping them dry and protected. There is no need for special treatment. We have flattened and straightened them onto a board or poster board and covered with plastic to protect them for public display.

The best way to preserve it is to lay it out to dry. It will always be fragile, so make sure you keep it in a safe place.

Grace Fields