NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Robin Communication
Name: Alex Jay F.

Question:
Hello, I am inquiring for a book I'm going to write about robins. It will be written from a robins point of view. I was just wondering what kind of sound do the males make to the females or visa-versa to communicate to each other; not for courtship or anything just to kind of know where they are.

Robins often work in pairs (mated pairs) and more than likely use visual signals frequently. I have heard a plain "chirp" sound that often seems to be an alarm call. This sound is similar to the robin song; the first note of the song. BUT, only a robin would know these things for certain.