NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Swan Nesting Parents
Name: Ben

Question:
Does swan pair, when they are brooding, take turns covering the eggs or does only the mother sit on them? My teacher and i were arguing about this so if you could please email me back that would be great.

Remember that a scientist is better judged on how they find information than on the information they have.

In this case a nice discussion might be the advantages and disadvantages to either or both of the swans tending the nest, or when you find the answer positing why it would have evolved in that manner.

pf

Both male and female incubate eggs.