NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Green Vine Snake Source
Name: Kody F.

Question:
I am writing a report on the Green Vine Snake from the rain forest. I cannot seem to find any information on if this snake has its babies alive or if they hatch from eggs. I also need to know about how many babies this snake has and how long it takes before they are born. I have found information on other vine snakes but not on this snake from the rain forest.

Hi Kody!

This kind of serpent lives in trees so it is called arboreal.

It is viviparous (the babies are expelled not from eggs, but just like mamals). The babies are frequently born still surrounded by a membrane. Little is known about its mating behaviour and season. Its gestation period is assumed to be around 6 months. The number of babies varies from 3 to 15 with extreme cases which reach well into the 20's. Females are larger than the males and the males have proportionately longer tails.

By the time they are born they measure around 35 cm. Maturity is reached at around three years at a length of over 1.2m. The average length of this species is 1.5m reaching 1.8m occasionally.

Thanks for asking NEWTON!

Mabel
(Dr. Mabel Rodrigues)