NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Albino Variations
Name: Elizabeth Seaver

Question:
No question, but a remark regarding the question about the possibility of a white skunk. Found your site while looking for information about just such a skunk because I saw one in my yard last night. It is not an albino. It has white body fur, a black face & a single black mark on its back. Tail all white. I was viewing it from above (inside stairs), but it looked as if its feet were black. Am curious if it's a variety or aberration. The response to the previous writer leads me to believe it is not a variety, but I will continue my search & also try to get a photo of "mine". I live in Arkansas. Seems I saw another letter from someone who'd seen one in the northeast somewhere. My curiosity is piqued.

Partial albinism is not uncommon. I have not heard of that in skunks but would not be surprised if this were the case. I don't know how the genetics work, but I have seen a partial albino robin that was white except for some faint breast color, a partail albino garter snake that had all the markings of a normal garter snake except all the colors were very pale.

I have seen articles on various animals that were not totally albino. One reference to an alligator that was all white, but the eyes were a normal color. I have seen partial albino crows, common grackles and House sparrows where certain areas of their body feathers were white.