NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Ring-neck Dove Behavior
Name: JANET H.

Question:
we have two ringneck doves that appeared in our yard in july 2003. they roost in the large trees at night around our house. i feed them and they have stayed. now we have another one that has appeared and stays with the other two. my question is this their young or just one that found a new place to live? it's not much smaller than the other two but he sticks with them where ever they go. They are the most beautiful birds that i have ever seen and i know they are new to southeast ga.

I don't know specifics of ring-neck dove behavior, but most doves are social birds, often seen in groups. The third bird could be young of your resident pair, assuming that the two you have seen regularly are in fact a mated pair, or probably just another one that happened to find the area. I don't know any way you would be able to tell.