NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Chipmunk Status
Name: Chris M

Question:
Hello my name is chris morris. I am 11 years old and I am studying chipmunks in my science class.

Is the chipmunk endangered? Why did you want to study about chipmunks, and how can we help them.

In most of the eastern United States there is only one species of chipmunk, appropriately named "eastern chipmunk." They are not endangered, and as with all wildlife the best thing we can do to help them is protect their homes and habitats. Least chipmunks live in northern Wisconsin and Minnesota, they are not endangered. There are many species - about 20! - of chipmunks in the western United States, many of which have very small and isolated ranges, which makes them more vulnerable to loss of habitat. I don't know if any are endangered.