NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Light Sensitive Coloration
Name: Alyssa L.

Question:
I was curious. Does the sun have anything to do with the color of fish scales? I know if you leave a goldfish in a dark room, it will eventually turn white. But does that also mean light blubs and/or colored lightblubs also have something to do with it too. I mean, if you were to leave a red light blub on over the tank that your fish was in, will it turn red?

No, the color of the light bulb will not affect the color of the scales. It will affect the way our eyes see the color reflected from the bulb.