NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bugs in Eyebrows
Name: Amber B.

Question:
In my high school biology class about seven years ago or more, I remember my teacher going over a chapter about living organism's in the eyebrow. My teacher called them worms. Now that I am doing research on the human body and I cannot find anything about them.

Look up mites.

Peter Faletra

One of many species of organisms that live on or in the human body is the face mite, Demodes follicularum, which probably almost every, if not every, human hosts. According to John S. Marr, M.D., "The average clean face of an adult may contain thousands of these mites." Mites are usually tiny 8-legged relatives of spiders. The quote is from an article "The Life That Lives on Man" in a marvellous, though not for the squeamish, book on urban ecosystems, "Concrete Jungle," edited by Mark Dion and Alexis Rockman.