NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Spider Cocoon
Name: Mara N.
Age:  20s

Question:
I have a spider in my house that is in a cocoon. Can you please tell what it is doing? Is it laying eggs that in turn will create more spiders? Please help. Thank you.

Spiders do not pupate in cocoons like insects, as far as I know the only stage of a spider life cycle that includes a cocoon-like structure is the egg case, which the adult forms around the eggs. Yes, they will hatch into more spiders!

The spider in question may be the sac spider.

"These spiders hide in silken tubes or sacs that resemble cocoons during the day and hunt at night. They will bite humans even when unprovoked. These bites are rather painful, but generally not life-threatening." Thaks Pamela!

More information:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2060A.html

Unknown