NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Birthing Through Mouth
Name: Claudia M.
Age:  9

Question:
Which animals gives birth through the mouth?

I do not know of any animals that actually give birth through their mouth, but some will pick up their young in their mouths to move them or protect them temporarily.

No animals give birth through the mouth that I know of. The reason for this is that the mouth is connected with the digestive system...for eating and drinking, absorbing food into the body and eliminating waste after digestion. The reproductive system is only connected with the digestive system at the opposite end from the mouth...in women the vagina and in men the penis.

Dr. Peter Faletra