NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fish Age and Scales
Name: Don A.

Question:
I recently attended the Jason Project Presentation at Crafton Hills Community College in Yucapia, California and I disputed an answer given by the person presiding over the program and she told the people attending that you tell the age of fish by looking at the scales because they are similar to the tree rings and that is not true because catfish, trout and stripped bass don't have scales so please can this be answered?

It works for those fish that have scales, obviously not for fish without scales.