NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Eye Retroreflectivity
Name: Delbert

Question:
The eyes of animals that possess a tapetum lucidum glow in the dark when exposed to a light source due to retroreflectivity. The color varies with species. Do you know which animals in the western United States exhibit red eye color due to retroreflectivity?

You will have to check the literature, but I think an answer is HUMANS. I believe this is the cause of the "red eye" effect when you photograph a person "head on". The eyes look like two red dots.