NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Growth Rates of Animals
Name: Tom H.
Date: Sunday, December 08, 2002

Question:
Hello. Thank you for taking the time to ponder my question. I would like to know (in layman's terms) why animals life cycle is so much quicker than humans. For instance, I just purchased a Boston Terrier puppy. She was smaller than my shoe when I got her. Now, only twenty weeks later, she is almost full grown. Why do animals grow at such a higher rate than humans?

Growth rates are related to size and life span of the animal. For instance, an elephant is large, grows slowly, and lives a long time, while a mouse is small, grows fast, and does not live long. There is not a strict, fixed relationship but this is in general true.