NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Polar Bears Hibernating
Name: Alice M.
Date: Saturday, November 16, 2002

Question:
I was looking for information on polar bears and came across two conflicting answers on your web site from the archive. The question is whether or not polar bears hibernate, and one answer said yes, one said no. What is the correct answer? (Under zoology, see "Polar bears and hibernating" and "polar bears and winter")

I am responsible for the apparently conflicting answers. The first, under "Polar bears in winter" was too hasty, but as you read the second answer closely, not totally wrong. Only female polar bears "hibernate," and it is not true hibernation in that their body temperature remains near normal and they are easily awakened.