NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Mass of Average Mosquito
Name: Dale M.
Date: 
Monday, September 30, 2002

Question:
How much does the average mosquito weigh? I know that there are over 135 varieties in North America, and may be a bit difficult. Given that there are mosquito weights ranging from a small value to a large value, what might that range of values be?

Can you give me a ball park figure?

I do a program on bats at the local zoo and it is a question that comes up once in a while when I talk about what and how much an individual bat may eat in a night. I would like to have an answer to it. I have not found it from any of my sources.

I cannot answer the question either, but there is a lot of information on various bat sites on the web, which you may have already seen, about what and how much bats eat.

For a very useful start try the "discovery" and "links" pages at Bat Conservation International:

http://www.batcon.org/