NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Orb Spiders and Eggs
Name: Jana D.
Date: 
Monday, September 30, 2002

Question:
We have had an orb spider outside our window for a few months now. This morning we noticed that she has laid an egg sac. I have been searching for some information on the emergence of the spiders from within the egg sac. So far all I have found is that they usually hatch in early fall, stay in the sac for the winter an emerge next spring.

I live in a suburban area and do not mind that spider being around. But I also do not want to end up with 100 or so little orb spiders all over the outside of my house and yard. Do they disperse after emerging and if so how far do they go?

Yes, they will disperse after emerging and most, like all highly fecund small organisms, will not survive. Enjoy watching them, they are no threat and not likely to become so numerous as to be even mildly troublesome.