NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Spider Worms
Name: Amy D.
Date: 
Monday, September 30, 2002

Question:
While camping this weekend in southern Missouri, I saw two worms come out of a spider. By looking at pictures on the Internet, I would characterize the worms as roundworms because they were long-probably several inches each-and round. After the worms came out, the spider looked like it was having a seizure and it did not move much after that. Being a science teacher, I was entranced in the whole process as it was happening before me. Can you tell me more information about these worms that infect spiders?

I am sorry for the late and inadequate reply, but here is what I know: most roundworms (nematodes) are free living in the soil or associated with soil organisms. I haven't found anything regarding parasites in spiders, but there are a number of possibilities, most organisms are sometimes host for internal parasitic worms.

Up-date October 2008
The following site gives information about small worms that have been found in spiders.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IN274

Thanks to Charlie R. for this addition.