NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Birds and Rattle Snake
Name: Ann T.
Date: Tuesday, August 06, 2002

Question:
Hello, I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. This area is basically dry fields in the summer. I have had many rattlesnakes this year. I have had two experiences with the local song birds, in a sense, warning me that there was a rattlesnake about. I have reason to believe that the last rattlesnake had been killed by some birds that look like very small crows. They nest around here during the Spring and Summer. As I approached the snake, I noticed that it was encircled by several (maybe eight) of these birds. Is this common? Could these birds really have killed the snake? I would really appreciate your response.

I am not familiar with wildlife of the Sierra Nevada, but I think it very unlikely small birds killed a rattlesnake. They were probably scavenging on an already dead snake. Larger raptors (hawks or owls) might kill a snake.