NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Duck Tongue
Name: Tamar Z.
Date: Saturday, June 01, 2002

Question:
I live in NYC. The other night for the first (and absolutely last)time, I ate "Spicy Duck Tongues" at a Chinese restaurant on the Upper West Side as I was in the mood to try something new and unusual. They were rather oily and had a sort of fishy after taste, like a mild cod liver oil. My boyfriend and I were curious what do ducks eat. Do they eat fish or just aquatic vegetation? The tongues had bones in them. Why would ducks need bones in their tongue? Umm... by the way my advice is if you feel the need to try a new food DO avoid ordering the Duck Tongue!

Tamar,

"Duck" could mean a number of animals. Most "ducks" used in preparation in restaurants are commercially raised and who knows what is used to feed these "ducks". Probably soybean or corn meal.

Wild ducks, depending on the species, are gnerally vegetarians.