NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Deterring Bees
Name: Karen A.
Date: Saturday, June 01, 2002

Question:
Is there anyway I can deter bees? They seem to think that I am their next meal, and have had, on several occasions, have one follow me for several blocks. I understand the bees are going to be rather aggressive this year (I live in Oregon) due to the warm winter we had, and I really do not want to spend this summer inside. I was stung two times last year, and now carry an Epi-pen. I do not use deodorants, perfumes, or anything else that smells like a flower, and I try not to "look" like a flower when I leave the house. Please help me. I am seriously thinking about wearing a bee-keepers suit every time I want to go outside or to even walk my dogs during the day. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, great web site. I bookmarked the archive page, and plan to do some major exploring--at least it will give me something to do if I DO have to stay inside!

If you are hyper-allergic to bee stings, taking an epi-pen is a very good idea. Highly allergic people need to use them AS SOON AS POSSIBLE since severe reactions can occur in a matter of seconds or minutes and you may not be able to summon help quickly enough. Even with an epi-pen, if you are stung you should treat your sting as a life threatening emergency and seek help or call 911 immediately. The epi-pen is only effective for 20 to 30 min and is meant solely as a first aid treatment. A bee-keeper hood may make you feel self-conscious, but it is a good idea. Also put rubber bands around sleeves and pant legs and wear long socks.

As to why you seem to attract bees, you are on the right track. You need to keep a log of everything you come in contact with that might attract bees. List: whatever you come in contact with: foods (especially any fruit), laundry products (frequently scented), room deodorizers, sodas and/or beer (bees are attracted by CO2). There may be bee-repellent products available -- I do not know, but your local agriculture extension agent or hiking equipment retailer would know about such things and may know other products that attract bees. Your predicament is not funny.

Karen,

My daughter had the same problem when she was younger. The yellow jackets that she was allergic to when stung would follow her around when she was outside. I placed bee traps all around my house. See your local hardware or one of the large warehouse/lumber stores.

Since I know bees and their habits, I determined over time where the yellow jacket nests were and eliminated them. I do not know the species you are dealing with so I can not help you, butn there are naturalists and knowledgable people in your area that can help. Your doctor may be able to help, however, many will not believe you about them following you around.

It is important to see an allergy physician. If anyone can, these doctors should be able to help too. You need to carry an epipen I suspect. So many new medications are available that I would not be surprised if there is a treatment.

Good luck