NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bird Behavior
Name: Andy R

Question:
We have a large robin that likes to kick at our window screen, at the south side of the house. It does not matter whether it is gloomy or bright outside, so I do not think its a reflection in the window that is making it do this. It hangs around feeding on the ground, but when done feeding, it spends its time repeatedly flying from a grape vine (about 5ft from the window)into the window screen..bouncing its feet off the screen.. and then flying back to the vine. There are no other pets or animals in the vicinity, and the room is usually quite dark compared to the outside. What is this bird trying to do?

It probably is attacking its reflection, though I do not often hear of birds attacking reflections when there is a screen on the window. I do not know of any other explanation.