NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Feeding Wildlife
Name: Deirdre R

Question:
My neighbor leaves table scraps out for the wildlife in our area,Lake Village, Newton county, IN. I know this cannot be good for the animals, but I have been unable to find any articles on this point. She believes she is being kind and although I have told her it was not good for them she continues to do this, since I have nothing to back this claim up with. They go on vacation from time to time and as the animals get dependent on the food they put out, I am worried about the dangers this can pose to my young children. The area around here rural and wooded, and there are many different wild animals. Could you please send me a site or article for this area, to show her the harm and dangers in continuing this?

Here's an Indiana web site to start

http://www.indianacountyparks.org/faqs/regs.html#wildlife

A thorough one from Colorado

http://www.dnr.state.co.us/cdnr_news/wildlife/19986514405.html

A Google search "feeding wildlife" turned up dozens of sites

There are a number of issues involved with your question. The main question is what are the animals involved? Bears? alligators? raccoons? squirrels? birds? Potentially harmful animals like bears or animals that are known to carry rabies, etc. certainly should not be encouraged to identify humans as a food provider in a human populated areas. However, raccoons, squirrels and birds are continually provided with food, either by someone actively feeding them or by the fact that garbage cans, fast food chains with fries dropped continually are easily accessible, makes for another discussion. Many purists say that we should not feed even the birds to allow for a stronger species, however, with most species (but Man) showing signs of population stress, it is a academic issue as to whether feeding some animals is benefical or not. Is Man so involved with protecting himself from disease, etc. that we do not see the whole picture? Most animals are finding food from man in some way anyway, and they know where it comes from, we are very odiferous! What to do? Your call.